AUTISM SUPPORT SERVICESPresentations and workshops of varying lengths are available on many topics related to autism:
- Keynote presentations that are informative and inspirational.
- Child specific consultation: Evaluation, educational identification, program planning, conflict management, Functional Behavior Assessment, Positive Behavior Supports, and assistance with Behavior Intervention Plans.
- Understanding and teaching children with autism, behavior, communication, sensory and social problems, discrete trial training, appropriate education, supporting students with autism in the regular classroom, curriculum adaptation, whole language, multiple intelligences, and structure and scheduling.
- Other areas include: Bullying, the gifted student with autism, talking to students and staff about autism, parent/school collaboration, coping skills for parents, body talk: learning to speak nonverbal language, social stories, using stories to teach, and the experience of being a mother to a son with autism.
Julie Donnelly and/or Jean-Paul Bovee custom design workshops for the needs of schools, agencies, groups or conferences. Workshops can range from 3 hours to 2 days. Workshops can range from the basics of understanding autism to more advance training in specific techniques and strategies. Trainings can be focused on students with challenging needs or on the more subtle needs of the individuals with High-functioning Autism / Aspergers syndrome. The content can be adapted to parents, school staff, mental health staff or administrators. Workshops often include additional speakers such as Sheila Merzer a psychologist with over 30 years of expertise in autism.. During workshops, concepts and skills and are illustrated through stories, pictures, videos, demonstrations and hands on practice activities.
Fees and expenses are individually negotiated based on length of the workshop, travel time, budget of the workshop sponsor and number and availability of the presenters.
Some recent workshops include:
- Understanding Autism
- Dealing with Challenging Behaviors
- Is it I won't or I can't?
- Just Leave Me Alone: Bullying and the Individual with Autism
- Making it work in the classroom: Best practices for Students with Autism
- Strategies to Support individuals with High Functioning Autism/Asperger Syndrome
- Supporting Social Competence
- Appropriate Services for the Autism Spectrum
- Aspects of a legally defensible program for students with Autism
- The Power of Reframing Behavior: Understanding Behavior and Designing Interventions for Home and School (with Sheila Merzer)
- Strategies for Communication and Socialization (with Sheila Merzer and Taharih Bushey)
- Writing Basic Social Stories; Advanced Social Stories Techniques
- Early Intervention: Individualized programs integrating the best of multiple methodologies
- Positive Supports for Students with Autism
- Stories and Strategies
- Communication, Social Development and Preparation for Life for Individuals with Autism
- Common Elements of Good Early Childhood Special Education
Jean-Paul and Julie often Keynote conferences including the national conference of the Autism Society of America (ASA), State conferences, and conferences of professional and parent advocacy organizations. They tell their personal story along with many lessons that they have learned through their talks: The Adventures of Jean-Paul (Julie and Jean-Paul) or A Mother's Story (just Julie) or My Experiences with Autism (just Jean-Paul). Their keynotes have been described and inspirational, humorous and moving. The audience leaves with some strategies to try, some stories to help them remember the techniques and a renewed sense of hope.
Keynotes range from 45 minutes to two hours. Fees and expenses are individually negotiated based on length of the presentation, travel time, budget of the sponsor and number and availability of the presenters.
Some recent Keynotes and presentations include:
- The Adventures of Jean-Paul (with Jean-Paul Bovee)
- A Mother's Story
- Just Leave Me Alone: Bullying and the Individual with Autism (with or without Jean-Paul)
- Respectful Counseling with Teens on the Autism/Aspergers syndrome
- Differential Diagnosis of Autism and Emotional Disturbance (with Robert Trussell)
- The Resourceful Parent
- The Third Grade Slump (with Dr. Edna Smith)
- The Importance of Theory of Mind and how to teach it
- Working Respectfully with Parents and Individuals who have Autism
- Functional Assessment of Behavior 101
- One to one teaching methods
- Supporting students in making transitions
- High Functioning Autism/Aspergers Syndrome: What is it and what do we do?
- Using Stories to Teach
Jean-Paul also presents these sessions on his own:
- My experience with Autism
- The Myths of Autism
- I'm not broken
- Self Determination and Self Advocacy
- Finding and keeping a job
- Anchorage Public Schools, Anchorage, Alaska
- Arcadia Valley Public Schools, Ironton, MO
- Boliver Coop, Boliver, MO
- Boone County Group Homes and Family Support (direct behavioral support and consultation to families and individuals with autism)
- Campbell Schools, Southeast Missouri
- Cape Girardeau Public Schools, Cape Girardeau, MO
- Center School District, Kansas City, MO
- Chaffee Public Schools, Chaffee, MO
- Columbia Public Schools, Columbia, MO
- Educational Service Unit 11, Holdrege, Nebraska.
- Educational Service Unit 10 Kearney, Nebraska
- Eldon Public Schools, Eldon, MO
- Elsberry, MO Public Schools
- Fort Zumwalt Schools, O'Fallon, MO
- Fulton Public Schools, MO
- Hannibal Public Schools, MO
- Indianapolis Public Schools, IN
- Jackson, MO Public Schools
- Jefferson City Public Schools, MO
- Kirksville Public Schools, Kirksville, MO
- Kodiak Island Public Schools, Alaska
- Lebanon Public School, MO
- Lee's Summit Public Schools, MO
- Lexington Public Schools, MO
- Lincoln County R-III, Troy, MO
- Mexico Public Schools, MO
- Minneapolis Public Schools, Minnesota
- Montgomery City Public Schools, MO
- Mound City Public Schools, MO
- North Calloway Public Schools, MO
- Nixa Public Schools, MO
- O'Fallon Public Schools, MO
- Orono Public Schools, Orono, Minnesota
- Owatonna Public Schools, MN
- Poplar Bluff Schools, MO
- Richland Public Schools, MO
- Rockwood Schools, St. Louis, MO
- Rolla, MO Public Schools
- School of the Osage
- Sedalia Public Schools, MO
- Springfield Public Schools, Springfield, Illinois
- St. Joseph Public Schools, St. Joseph, MO
- St. Louis Public Schools
- St. Louis, MO, Special School District
- St. Francis County Public Schools, MO
- Waynesville Public Schools, Waynesville, MO
- West Plains Public Schools, MO
- Direct behavioral support and consultation to families (not named because of confidentiality)
Dr. Julie A. Donnelly is often hired to participate in evaluations or to consult on specific children or programs. Frequently a school or agency requests that she give recommendations on educational identification or labeling and/or on programming for students suspected of having autism. When students have challenging behavior, Dr. Donnelly assists with a Functional Assessment of Behavior and the creation of a behavior plan. Although, Julie has served as an expert witness in Due Process and court hearings, she would prefer to work with the schools and parents to find a strategy that will support the child and prevent further conflict. Her experience sitting on both sides of the parent/ professional table give her a balanced view of many problem situations.
Several schools have ongoing contracts with Dr. Donnelly. Fees and expenses are individually negotiated based on a daily rate, travel time, and her availability.
Gills vs Columbia Public Schools, MO (School prevailed in due process, appeal and appeal to 8th Circuit)
Nordbergs vs Minneapolis, MN Schools (School prevailed in due process and appeal)
Lee's Summit, MO due process (settled in school's favor, unnamed for confidentiality)
Asburys vs Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Ed (DESE prevailed and in appeal and in 8th district, Supreme Court review denied)
True vs Farmington Schools, Farmington, Minnesota (School prevailed in due process)
Lange vs Lange custody case (child with autism). Testified for mother who was providing education and services and she prevailed.
Siddell vs Lower Kuskokwim School District, Bethel, Alaska (settled)
Jennings versus Grant Woods Area Education Agency, Iowa (settled)
Springfield Public Schools, Springfield, Illinois (two due process cases settled)
Department of Defense: U. S. Army Schools (Fort Knox)
Sullivan vs Grant Wood Area Education Agency
Consulted on numerous cases for parents or schools which were settled.